Pages

To spur or not to spur...

I'm asked often whether or not I wear spurs when I train.  My answers is always, sometimes.
That sometimes only happens when my client wears or wants to wear spurs.  When I first learned to ride, spurs were not an option and I saw no need for them.  I was able to make my horse move, what would be the use?

When I started riding at Medieval Times they made us wear spurs.  I hesitated, they were completely foreign to me and I wasn't interested in hurting a horse with them.  That is when Javier, the master of horse at our castle, explained to me, in perfect broken Spanish, Cuando you want los caballos move, more mejor use your dedo, no use your  mono.

...I walked away confused.

Basically a spur is a tool, like any other tool we use with our horses.  You can misuse a whip just as easily as you can misuse a spur.  Once I learned how to use them I found spurs to be a valuable asset.  Kicking was a thing of the past, now all it took was slight squeezing and I could generate all the energy I wanted.

Warning: You need to be comfortable enough controlling your heels and seat that you will not clamp your legs closed if you become unbalanced or your horse spooks.  You  may inadvertently jab your poor horse and make the situation worse.

So, if you are interested, there are plenty of non severe spurs to practice with and allow your horse to get used to.  Start slow and enjoy your new tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment